
NACIONALES
Avión enciende alerta en el Juan Santamaría por problemas en flaps
Pilar CisnerosAdaptación Teletica.comActualizado 12:30 m.d.04 de junio del 2007
Un avión con problemas puso en alerta a los cuerpos de socorro del aeropuerto Juan Santamaría La emergencia se dio pasadas las 10 de la mañana, cuando el vuelo 796 de la línea aérea Copa presentó problemas en los flaps de las alas.Estos flaps son los encargados de dar la fuerza de sustentación a la nave y una falla en ellos podría ser fatal a la hora de aterrizar. Afortunadamente, el piloto logró aterrizar sin problemas y poner en suelo costarricense a los 95 pasajeros provenientes de Honduras.
For you Spanish-speakers/readers, this is an article about a plane that I was on this past Monday. I'm happy to be alive. So, since I last wrote, we boarded a flight from Nicaragua at about 6:30 am, and flew, not to San José, but to San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
One more country down. We were there for about an hour, and then commenced our flight back to San José (finally). That was the flight mentioned in the article...for those of you who are not Spanish speakers or readers, there was a problem with the wings- they wouldn't open up to slow the plane down while in flight, so we circled around a few times (I thought it was probably bad weather again, though it looked clear outside), and eventually we made an emergency landing. Since the plane couldn't slow down in the air at all, we landed at full speed, and then screeched to a stop, just in time. There were firemen and firetrucks and red cross members awaiting our arrival.
Fortunately we were all okay, thanks to the skill of our pilot. It was a pretty incredible experience- problems like that can often be fatal. So we're counting our blessings, and trying to remember to be grateful for each day of life.
One more country down. We were there for about an hour, and then commenced our flight back to San José (finally). That was the flight mentioned in the article...for those of you who are not Spanish speakers or readers, there was a problem with the wings- they wouldn't open up to slow the plane down while in flight, so we circled around a few times (I thought it was probably bad weather again, though it looked clear outside), and eventually we made an emergency landing. Since the plane couldn't slow down in the air at all, we landed at full speed, and then screeched to a stop, just in time. There were firemen and firetrucks and red cross members awaiting our arrival.
Fortunately we were all okay, thanks to the skill of our pilot. It was a pretty incredible experience- problems like that can often be fatal. So we're counting our blessings, and trying to remember to be grateful for each day of life.We taught another workshop this week (it was great) and one of our participants is going to be baptized this month, so we're excited to be here for that.
Now for the good stuff...
Today around noon I was doing some homework in our apartment when the phone rang. It was Rodrigo, the specialist at the employment center. He asked me if I had eaten lunch, and I said yes, and he replied that he was glad because the crew from a local TV program was at the center, and he wanted me to come in and do an interview with him for the show. He informed me that they were setting up the cameras, and asked if I could be there in three minutes. I said I could try, and then proceeded to make a mad dash to put on something professional looking, and get to the center as quickly as possible. We filmed four segments about the workshop, and invited viewers to come attend.
It will air as part of a show called "Actualidad Feminina" targeted at stay-at-home moms and other women who tend to be at home in the mornings, every Monday for the next month (one segment per week). Definitely an interesting experience. No script, no preparation, just me and my Spanish on Costa Rican TV. I'm preparing myself to be stopped for autographs in the street.
Until next time,
la super-estrella de la televisión tica
(o sea, Sarah)
1 comment:
Wow. Congrats on being alive. You've got good karma, eh? I'm glad that you survived, because enjoying fame while you're alive is much more fun.
Post a Comment