Where? Arenal volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica
Who? The twins, Allie and I, and Ashley and Katy, Allie's friends from CA.
What? Hiking halfway up a volcano through the jungle, in the rain, in the dark...and watching lava roll down the sides. Driving to natural hot springs, and having our guide tell us to "take off our clothes" at the side of the river, and then hiking along it in our bathing suits, ducking under barbed wire (apparently we only paid for the ghetto tour that evening) and swimming under the stars in a natural jacuzzi. Riding horses the next morning to a waterfall, and swimming in the pool at the bottom. Amazing.


2.
Where? The fruit market, Romoset, Costa Rica
Who? Pamela, Ashley, Katy, Allie and I.
What? Trying and buying all kinds of amazing fruits. It was a delicious, and beautiful adventure.

3.
Where? Irazú volcano, Tierra Blanca, Costa Rica
Who? Allie, Ashley and I. And the kind couple who drove us from Tierra Blanca up the Volcano for only 15 dollars.
What? We headed out on an adventure on our own, and caught a bus to Cartago, and then found another bus to Tierra Blanca, and then hitched a ride with aforementioned couple. This is the third volcano we have visited. No lava, or even smoke this time. But we felt like we were on the moon. Hence, the alien shots. It was really cool. Literally. I think it was the first time I've been cold since I've been here! Like, ear-hurting cold!


4.
Where? The employment center, San José, Costa Rica and Los Yoses chaple
Who? Franklin, Allie and I, and Elder Hills and Elder Milhoun
What? Being present at the missionary lessons of Franklin Campos. He is incredible. He's like a sponge. I was walking home from Church with him last Sunday, and he turned to me and said (in English, and pointing to his Book of Mormon) "This is exactly what I've been looking for!" Franklin was baptized Saturday, July 28. He has great faith, and I am so excited for him to continue to progress in the Church! When the Elders taught him about the Word of Wisdom, he said, that coffee was the only thing he ever used. The Elders were getting ready to talk with him more about it, when he said "...but, I saw online that you don't drink coffee, so two days ago, I told my sister that I'm not going to drink coffee anymore." He was way ahead of all of us.

5.
Where? The "Teatro Nacional de Costa Rica"
Who? Allie and I. And a few hundred other people.
What? Falstaff, Giusepi Verdi's opera. We were running late, from a meeting with Franklin and the elders. There was TONS of traffic, and the taxi wasn't getting anywhere. So we got out and ran through downtown Costa Rica. In heels. I feel lucky that my ankles are in tact. But the opera was beautiful, if a little artsy, even for me. We even ran into some friends there!!

6.
Where? The employment center, San José, Costa Rica.
Who? Allie and I. And TONS of participants.
What? We have taught as many workshops in the last two weeks as we taught during the rest of our time here. Or at least close. One of our favorites was one that we taught in English to a group that is about to graduate from an intensive English program, and is preparing to go out into the job market. They were a ton of fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment