Jon and I were fortunate enough (thanks to the generosity of Jon's dad in giving us some free plane tickets he had been saving up) to attend her funeral on September 8th. I was so glad that Jon got to learn about her life, and feel a greater connection to my extended family. He had only met her a few times, and it was after her dimentia was in its later stages and she was confined to her bed. So it was really neat to be able to have him there with me.
The funeral was a wonderful celebration of her life. As Jon and I talked with coworkers, we noticed how cautious they were around us, and how much they acted like this departure from life should be devastating. And while there is no quesiton that the death of a loved one can be devastating in many ways, I felt so grateful for the perspective the gospel brings. She has passed on, but we will see her again, and she lives still.
I really admired Grandpa's absolute faith and confidence that he will see her again, even as he said goodbye to his eternal companion for now.
The trip back to Utah also served as a wonderful reunion of family members who have been greatly missed since we moved back east.
The whole experience was one that I will always cherish, and I am grateful to all those who made it possible and who offered their love and kindness and wisdom.
3 comments:
Thanks for the memories and the pictures. I still haven't posted (or perhaps even processed) my feelings about the funeral but they were a curious mix of celebration, gratitude, and connectedness (with only the tiniest tinge of sorrow). I had the same response from my co-workers who expected me to be in deep mourning over mom's death. It must be a rare thing to enjoy such powerful joy at funerals but it seems to be a hallmark of LDS funerals held for those who have tried hard to follow the teachings of Jesus.
Thank you for that post. I really was amazed, just like dad, at how joyful everyone was. I was so glad that Jon got to meet Brookie too! That's a pretty cute picture - tell him hi for me! Also, I just discovered that my black dress doesn't look as good on me as I had hoped...well I'm having it taken in this week, so hopefully it will improve. I guess it isn't the best idea to buy expensive dresses while you're pregnant and your remembrance of skinny days is a little skewed.
Nonsense! I think the black dress looks great on you.
Post a Comment