Childhood BFF, Stephanie Lynn Howard
My first memory of Stephanie is from right after my family moved to Holly, MI. We were at a Blue and Gold banquet, and our parents introduced us, because we were about the same age (actually, almost a year apart, but we were in the same grade). Steph was wearing an "I am a Child of God" t-shirt, and, yes, her hair was beaded. Gotta love 1990. The best thing about Stephanie is that we were friends through elementary school, stayed in touch while my family lived in Brazil, and continued our friendship through high school after we moved back to Holly. We were cougars together at the Y, and have stayed in touch through the years. Even though it feels like I haven't seen Stephanie for ages, I still consider her one of my best friends. She is also probably the most entertaining blogger I know. Happy Birthday Steph!
Brazil Buddy, Alexis Ivy Ortiz
(we can't remember why we always did this hyper air guitar thing in photos...but we did)
Alexis moved to Brazil a year after I did, and we became pretty much inseparable. She quickly received the nick name "Zinha", the diminutive ending in Portuguese, indicative of her stature. But she was always quick to remind us all that the best things come in small packages. One of my favorite things about Alexis was her laugh. She would crack up at almost anything, and her laugh was contagious. We recently had a mini-Brazil reunion, and I learned that she still has that contagious laugh. We spent most of the evening laughing over old yearbook pictures. Happy Birthday Alexis!Fenton Ward Friend and Fellow Coug, Amy Katherine (Ettinger) North
September 24th
More than Just a Roommate, Lisa "Fran" (Smith) Fredericks
September 5th
I met Lisa at girls camp the summer before our senior year in high school. Sitting around a camp fire in the middle of the night, we decided to be roommates at BYU right then and there. We were true to that decision, and spent our first two years at the Y like sisters (even though we both have plenty of our own). I can't even begin to mention everything we went through together, but suffice it to say that some of the memories are filed under "underwear wars", "reverse stripper", and "we're all naked" (she meant under our clothes). Despite what this may lead you to believe, Lisa is, and has always been, one of my more conservative friends. She is also a dedicated friend, flying out to my wedding only a few weeks after giving birth to her third child, and always finding a way to stay in touch. She has been to visit us twice since we moved to MD (that's as many times as my mom!). She and her husband Bill, and three little boys, Sammy & Michael (twins) and Ben live in West Virginia where Bill is attending medical school. Happy Birthday Lis!
Mission Companion Turned Roommate, Andrea Christine (Rhodes) Brinton
September ...
I first "met" Andrea when letters from our soon-to-be mission president were placed in the wrong envelopes, and when I opened mine, it was addressed to her. I looked her up on Route Y, and voile, she was there! I think I called her and she was thoroughly confused as to who I was and why I was calling, but she humored me, and we ended up being MTC companions, and great friends. We both served in the Bilbao mission, and decided to live together when we returned from Spain. We had a GREAT year livin' the Riv. It's always a party with Andrea around, and I feel so blessed to have her as a friend. She has always been a great example to me of how to have fun and live the gospel happily. She is now living in Minnesota with her husband Tom and their son Danny. Tom is completing his residency there at the Mayo Clinic. Happy Birthday Andi!
MTC Friend, Roommate, and Fellow Spanish Junkie, Kirsti Vogeler
September 15th

Kirsti (pronounced Shear-stee) and I met when I started teaching at the MTC shortly after my mission. We proceeded to frequently teach in classrooms next door to each other. We started hanging out after work occasionally, and eventually became roommates and best friends. We went to countless singles ward activities together, dressed up as pirates, prom queens and cowgirls, and ate plenty of Haynie tacos, as she became another member of my extended family by enjoying (or enduring) many Sunday evenings at my parents' home. My favorite thing about Kirsti is the conversations we have. We used to stay up WAY too late, just talking, and I love that! Kirsti is currently a training coordinator at the MTC...pretty much the coolest job ever, but I can't wait until they give her some time off so she can come visit us! Happy Birthday Kirst!
Only, Lonely, Leininger Sis, Lauren Marie Leininger
Not that Lauren's actually "lonely"...it's just quite different having only one sister on Jon's side of the family, since I have six (none of whom have September birthdays) on my side of the fam. Different, and fun! Being the only two, we have had the chance to do some fun things one on one, like, see "Twilight" while the boys saw boring James Bond, and do a little shopping, East Coast style. She's also one of our closest relatives location wise, since she's studying at Southern Virginia University. We're excited to see her soon! Happy Birthday Lauren!
New Neighbor, Megan Tholen
(we should have taken a pic together at the beach...instead I had to steal this off your facebook...)
Megan is in my ward, and I liked her immediately upon meeting her. She came up to me at an enrichment activity, and said "Hi, I'm Megan. Sorry I haven't introduced myself yet, but I know who you are." It totally made me smile, and I immediately knew that she was the kind of person I would get along with. Ever since we moved into the town home three doors down from her family, we have gotten to know each other even better. It's great to have someone to borrow an extra pizza pan from, leave a spare key with, and just walk over and chat with when I need adult conversation. The best part is, she seems to want to talk to me just as much as I want to talk to her, so it works out. She and her husband Tom have three kids, Daphne, Henry and Sumner, and we LOVE being their neighbors (and will be sad when [if!?] they move to VA). Happy Birthday Megan!HUSBAND, Jonathan Clayton Leininger
September 12th

I've already told you how I feel about him, but let me tell you a little memory. Fall semester of 2006 I walked into my Spanish Lit class and thought, "Holy Cow, there's one hot guy!". I went home and told my roommates about the incredibly cute guy in my Spanish class, and tried all semester to catch his attention. Apparently it worked, but the effects were belated. But as the saying goes, better late than never...he finally asked me out nearly a year and a half later. And it turns out that he's a lot more than hot (see previous post). He's the best friend I could ever ask for. Happy Birthday Jon!
Isn't the September thing just a little bit creepy? Anyway, love you Septembers! Have a wonderful Birth-Month!


7 comments:
wow. that was fun to read, esp since i know several of them:) steph was in my byu ward at BDA and i think you already know Lisa and I have about 4 connections. such a small world, but i feel like someday we'll definitely run into you guys again:)
THAT was the best picture of us together that you could find?
Really??? What was that, 8th grade? :P
Awful picture aside, though, that's the sweetest thing in the world. :) Thank you, Sarah-pear! I love you, too! And we'd BETTER see you in Texas sometime. ;)
I think it's pretty amazing that you remember all of your friends' & roommates' birthdays - (maybe facebook helped out a little?). I'm not good like that. Also - I never got to pick my roommates. But that is pretty amazing that so many people are born in September.... I think it's a Christmas/New Year thing.
wow sar.........i feel so honored to be on your blog! thanks for being such an amazing friend to me. i miss you!
Oh, Sar...that picture is hideous. Remember how I had "the garden" on the back of my head?
I love you tons and am so glad you still chose to be my friend even with beads in my hair!
Haha...I know! I'm sorry about the bad pictures! I had a bunch of old photo albums out, and the scanner going, and Olivia needed attention, and I had to make dinner, so...some of those photos just had to do in desperation. But I kinda like them. It shows how far we've come. ;)
Hope you dont have to buy all your friends gifts! that would get costly!
Post a Comment