Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leftover Makeover

I have been trying really hard lately not to let any food go to waste. So in my weekly meal planning, I've been checking out the refrigerator to see what's there, and planning around that. For example, the pork roast I made two Sundays ago for carnitas has also become pork burritos, pork paninis, and toasted pork cheesesteak. I still have one more meal's worth of pork waiting in my freezer. This past Sunday, I made WAY too much couscous to go along with our yogurt-marinated chicken skewers, so I had to get a little creative. After a bit of online browsing for inspiration, this is what I came up with...

Couscous & Feta Stuffed Peppers

1/2 recipe for curry couscous

2-4 bell peppers (I can't usually bring myself to pay twice as much for red, so I go with green, but this week red were on sale for the same price as green, and were bigger!)

1 yellow squash

1 small onion

1 tomato

1/2 lb. ground beef

3/4 C feta cheese

salt & pepper

I cut the tops of the peppers, and boiled them.

Chopped up all the veggies (including the tops of the peppers).

Pulled out my leftover couscous

and feta cheese.

Browned the ground beef and seasoned with salt & pepper,

added the veggies and sauteed until they were tender

Added the couscous and feta, and mixed it all up.

Then stuffed my peppers, and added the extra filling to the bottom of the pan!

I did this during nap time and covered it in foil. It's in my fridge waiting to bake tonight. I'll probably serve it with rice, but it would be good as a stand alone meal too.

What are some of your favorite things to do with leftovers?

1 comment:

Amy Rose said...

When we have tacos, we always have Spanish rice with the meat the next day. When we have chili, we always eat it on potatoes the next day... etc.

We love leftovers around here. Devin always says the leftovers taste better than the original meal - because "the flavors have had a chance to meld." That is a direct quote.

We have joked about opening up a restaurant and serving only "leftovers"... i.e. food we made the day before, not actually the left over food from people's plates.