Monday, January 24, 2011

Home Alone: Week Two

We had a great weekend together. I am so enjoying Jon's time off school between semesters. It is fantastic to have all day Saturday to spend together!

Week Two of being home alone with my babies started with a vengeance. (Don't worry, I still love my job.)

Anna has slowly, but surely, been sleeping better, but last night the poor thing was so congested that her breathing sounded awful and she kept waking herself up. After being up with her for 2+ hours, and trying my old tricks (saline nasal drops and a bulb syringe) with no success, I finally called the after hours pediatrician. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call-back within 10 minutes, and the doctor I talked to recommended making our own saline solution at body temperature (1/4 tsp salt in 1 C. tepid water), putting it in her nose with the bulb syringe, and then suctioning her nose out after a minute. I felt terrible squirting the stuff up her nose. I would put it in one nostril and it would squirt right out the other. But she didn't seem to mind it too much, and it actually helped. The doctor also suggested putting a steamer in the room to compensate for the dry air caused by having the heat on . We followed the doctor's orders, and after more than three sleepless hours, we finally all got some rest.

Jon saved the day by getting up with Olivia and letting me sleep in until 8am. I was still pretty exhausted, but it could have been worse!

Juggling my own tiredness, Olivia's excessive energy, and Anna's constant need to eat and be burped (the girl has a hard time burping, so it is quite the process), we weren't dressed for the day until after 10am.

Somehow we made it through the morning to lunch, and through lunch to what should have been nap time. I was nursing Anna so she would be calm while I put Olivia down for her nap when suddenly I got a nosebleed. I never get nosebleeds, so I was pretty shocked. I scrambled to the bathroom to get a tissue, but didn't get one before I bled all over my nursing bra and my baby. Yuck! Then I couldn't get Olivia to come upstairs for Anna and I to change, so I ended up having to haul her up kicking and screaming.

Speaking of screaming, we had to run to Wal-Mart after nap time, and poor Anna woke up hungry while we were there, and screamed inconsolably for 15 minutes. Totally broke my heart.

But the miracle of it all is that the day flew by, and I felt relatively calm through it all.

I love my girls, and days like today only make me love them more.

Also, bless those freezer meals I made back in December.

No comments: