Thursday, July 5, 2007

The 4th, Tico Style...

Happy 4th of July! So, today's the 5th, but I just thought I'd send my festive spirit out there anyway. Yesterday was a great day. I think a classic movie, and one of my favorites, says it best...

-"Christmas tree through window....how am I going to file that on my insurance claim?? They're still pissed about the fire we had when Joe Jr. barbecued in the stairwell!"

-"Hmm...missed that one..."

-"Too bad...Great sausage!"

So, it wasn't the stairwell, it was the fire escape, and it wasn't actually sausage...it was hot dogs. But we managed to have a relatively authentic 4th of July celebration right here in San José, centro (think, no front yard, no back yard...just a curb that is usually occupied by a few homeless friends picking through the trash). It was pretty much amazing. We invited a bunch of friends over, made baked beans and corn on the cob, and...loved every minute of it! We even added s'mores to the menu to make it really authentic, and our friends loved them! We were a little nervous that we would get kicked out of the building, but the only person who discovered our indoor bbq was our Spanish neighbor Pepe, who just gave us some grilling advice and asked if we wanted some "drinks". And he didn't mean soda. It took awhile to convince him that we really don't drink alcohol, but in the end, we got away with the whole thing without a hitch!



We played some crazy games, and Allie entertained with the guitar (which we borrowed from Pepe. It can come in handy to have overly-generous Spanish neighbors around.) and I think the party was a hit!


Today we are headed off on another "business trip" to Limón, on the Carribbean coast. We'll be teaching the workshop out there, and the trip is doubling as a vacation, so we plan to hit the beach as much as possible. Should be a good time, and definitely interesting with Rodrigo at the wheel. Carribbean climate report coming right up!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Happy 4th to you too. My wife and I are down in Guatemala right now. So, we thought we would say "hola" since were a couple countries away from you.

Sounds like you are having a blast. Even though you claim you are working, I don't believe it! Just take a look at your pictures...You're on a vacation to become a Tico. Or better said...a Tica.

Cuidate Mucho...

Joseph Haynie said...

Hey sister. Looks like your forth was lots of fun. You have a sweet blog going on here. love you so much. keep "working" hard;)