Friday, November 7, 2008

5 things I've been thinking about...

1. I'm glad this whole election business is over, even though it didn't all turn out how I hoped. I am grateful that Prop 8 passed, and I am feeling peaceful about Obama as President, and looking on the bright side. For one, I think he has a totally adorable family and I am a little jealous of his two daughters who get to live in the White House. See, my dreams of being a First Daughter were crushed at a young age when I found out that Presidents of the United States must be natural-born citizens. My dad was born in Peru, and I was pretty darn sure that that was the only thing that really stood in his way (still am really...well, that, and a lack of desire to be involved in politics...). It was a tragic moment for a young girl. However, with the ambiguity about Obama's birth country, maybe I shouldn't have given up quite so easily. My sister (who will not be named here) didn't. She wrote my dad in on the ballot. Maybe more of us should have done that...I DO like him a lot better than any of the candidates I had to choose from.

2. Modern medicine=good. However, it's maybe not quite the miracle drug I originally thought it to be. I'm learning that I still might be sick every once in awhile. But I'll tell you what. Vomit once a day is a WHOLE lot better than vomit four times a day. So I'll take it!

3. Eggnog=a complete meal. I think I have pretty much always felt this way. At least since college when my parents were no longer around to supervise my eggnog intake. You have to down a couple glasses to really make the meal, but it's got the protein, the dairy, and it's just plain delicious! I look forward to eggnog season* all year! I just love the stuff! In fact, this year I got the very first eggnog of the season. The grocery store guy had to go in the back to find it for me because it wasn't even out yet. And it sure is delicious! One disclaimer though- I am SO not down with homemade eggnog. The stuff totally grosses me out!

4. "Seriously, are these fall colors real???" That's what I think every time I go anywhere. For those who have never spent an autumn on the east coast, I highly recommend it. It's like, trees are EVERYWHERE, and all of them are totally gorgeous. It's a wonder that I haven't run anyone off the road while staring at the trees.

5. Looking forward to my two dates with Jon this weekend. Saturday we are going out to eat downtown and then attending a Baltimore Symphony Orchestra concert. We've seen them once before and they are fantastic. Tonight we're going to Costco for a food storage acquisition and cheap pizza date. We might even score some free samples while we're at it. Is it bad to admit that I'm kind of looking forward to Costco more? I mean, I really like the BSO, honestly. It's just that I haven't been to Costco in a really long time, and well, it's Costco!

*Eggnog season: the time of year between Halloween and New Years when eggnog is sold in many stores and readily available.

7 comments:

Maria said...

Yea! Papa Joe for President! And then if Shane doesn't get a job right after he graduates in December, we can move with mom and dad to the White House instead of living in their basement. Also, you have ALWAYS been so crazy about eggnog that I guess it's fitting that you blogged about it. I myself always disliked it, but I'm starting to come around. I can drink the equivalent of a shot glass of (non-alcoholic) eggnog. And I'm totally with you on the no homemade eggnog rule. Gross.

Joe Haynie said...

OK, I accept the nomination for President (and am VERY grateful that I don't have to worry about actually BEING president--not a job I'd ever choose, though I'm grateful that there are people who are willing to serve).
Relative to eggnog, have you ever checked out the fat and calorie content on that store-bought stuff? I counsel you with all the feeling of a tender parent to abandon your wayward ways and return to the wholesome homemade eggnog of your youth!

Unknown said...

I didn't know Sarah liked eggnog so much. I guess we'll have it in the fridge throughout the winter months (how lucky am I?).
I am also looking forward to going to Costco. One word of warning: Beware of the chicken calzones!

Sarah said...

Dad, the fat and calories in the store-bought eggnog are what makes it count as a meal!

Mimi Collett said...

I would vote for your dad! :) I am not sure I agree with you on eggnog, but then I've never had it. I just kind of don't support beverages with the word "egg" in the name. Hm.

Rogers Roundup said...

Hi Jon and Sarah! My husband served his mission in Peru so that was neat to learn that your father was born there. Have a good week! Your cousin, Brooke

Diana said...

I like your campaign poster. And I'm pretty sure that if dad got voted in, everyone would be so happy that they'd amend that little rule about being born in the states.

P.S. Thanks a lot for not naming! You only have two sisters who can vote and we all know Maria isn't that silly... still I'll take the ambiguity and hope no one catches on...