A couple years ago (before I was dating Jon) as Valentine's Day approached, I decided to stop boycotting, or simply ignoring the holiday. I was definitely single, without even a prospect, and for the Provo crowd, I was starting to get up there in the age range. Very scary. ;) But, I thought to myself, Valentine's Day is about love. While I wasn't "in love", there were definitely a lot of people I loved! So I decided to make Valentines for my loved ones, starting with my very own family- the people who lived under the same roof as me. I hand-painted some cards and wrote notes to my family members telling them how much I loved them, and the qualities they had that I admired.
It was one of the happiest Valentines Days I have ever had because I realized how much love I really had in my life.
Last year on Valentines Day, Jon and I were dating, and it was also wonderful. I'm looking forward to this year's version of the holiday this weekend, which we plan to spend in Philadelphia exploring some new territory while we're still baby-free. However, no-matter your "relationship status", show some love this Valentine's Day! We all know that we need more of it in this world, and I know from personal experience that a little love can make what has been called by some "the most depressing day of the year" happy and wonderful.
This year I'm showing the love with sugar cookies. I gave them to the Young Women at mutual, and to my students at school. I would send some your way, but most of you are too far, so a picture will have to suffice.

Happy Valentine's Weekend! And show some love!
And in case you want to completely disregard my advise, here is a wonderfully bitter "unrequited love" poem I happened upon as I was browsing some Spanish love poetry to read to my students...
Rimas LIII
por Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer Volverán las oscuras golondrinas
en tu balcón sus nidos a colgar,
y otra vez con el ala a sus cristales
jugando llamarán;
pero aquellas que el vuelo refrenaban,
tu hermosura y mi dicha al contemplar;
aquéllas que aprendieron nuestros nombres,
ésas... ¡no volverán!
Volverán las tupidas madreselvas
de tu jardín las tapias a escalar,
y otra vez a la tarde, aun más hermosas,
sus flores se abrirán;
pero aquéllas cuajadas de rocío,
cuyas gotas mirábamos temblar
y caer, como lágrimas del día...
ésas... ¡no volverán!
Volverán del amor en tus oídos
las palabras ardientes a sonar;
tu corazón, de su profundo sueño
tal vez se desperterá;
pero mudo y absorto de rodillas,
como se adora a Dios ante su altar,
como yo te he querido...desengáñate:
¡así no te querrán!
4 comments:
Sarah, You are a babe. You look awesome!
Ah, Bécquer . . .
wow those cookies look really, really good!
I'm totally with you, Valentines Day is about all kinds of love and relationships! Those cookies look great!
Post a Comment