Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hunting Help


For those of you who were wondering if Jon and I are planning on staying in MD for awhile, I thought I would let you know that we are house hunting. So, yes. We have a realtor (who came highly recommended, and so far does not disappoint), have been pre-approved for a loan, and have looked at several properties. And, just to clarify, when I say "house-hunting", what I actually mean is "townhome hunting". Around here, that's pretty much the only way to start out. The good news is, almost all townhomes have 3 floors (including finished basements), and generally run just shy of 2,000 sq feet. So, not quite as tiny as you might think.

As we all know, "it's a great time to buy", which, on the east coast means "it's finally somewhat affordable to buy". It's kind of depressing that we are probably going to have to spend on our first home (townhome) as much as, or more than what my parents spent on their current home. Five years ago. But, you do what you've gotta do, and we are actually seeing some things that, all things considered, are quite reasonable. It's exciting!

Neither Jon nor I are particularly "handy" (I always remind him that he's an engineer, and therefore, in my mind, should be able to fix just about anything...apparently an in-depth understanding of electricity, however, does not qualify you to, say, build a cabinet, install a toilet, hang dry wall, or even wire a house, for that matter...oh well). Despite our sad lack of abilities in this area, we are feeling ambitious enough to, say, strip ugly wallpaper and re-paint, or rip up old carpet and hire someone to put in new stuff.

That said, for those more experienced in this area than I (or those who have just thought about it more than I have...which isn't saying TOO much), what are the most important things to you about where you live? What are the must-haves, and what are the can-live-withouts? Which home improvement projects are probably over our heads, and which are doable? We can use all the advice we can get, so please share!

8 comments:

Summer Carlile said...

How exciting! Good luck with the house hunting.

Scott and Laura said...

I have to admit I am jealous! This is so exciting and I wish you the best of luck finding a good deal that you feel great about.
One thing that I would say is to see what are the places that you would be using the most and don't compromise on that. For example, Scott and I love to cook and so we have so many kitchen appliances and spend so much time in there that a kitchen with a poor layout and not enough cabinet space was very frustrating in our first apartment. Now I will never again compromise on the kitchen. Also, I am not a TV watcher but HGTV has been a great companion lately and they always have cool ideas for things so I would look there too. This is probably more than you wanted but I just think this is so exciting! Congrats!
And I think you look so cute pregnant! Do you have a name yet?

Cali Haynie Rutter said...

So fun! Good luck with the house hunting! Ps. you are so cute pregnant! ps. What type of Engineering did Jon study?

Sarah said...

He's officially an electrical engineer (which, by the way, is nothing like being an electrician, despite what I might think), though he's currently working on a software project...so basically, programming.

Kimberly said...

Electrical, plumbing, air conditioning, roof, mold, and foundation problems are the hardest and most expensive. Oo, and windows. If you can find a townhome that you're satisfied with the condition of those areas, anything else you can do or hire out. Just make sure you get a good appraiser.

As far as kitchens go, changing the layout of the kitchen will cost you the most. Getting new appliances, refinishing the cabinets, etc. is more doable. Flooring (in the kitchen and out) seems expensive, but you can get decent deals and it's easy to hire out.

I had a friend that lived in 3 different homes in Bethesda and 2 had leaky basements. So, watch out for that. Good luck!

the mapmaker's wife said...

Structural integrity and that sort of thing is important. After that I care about layout. I like having more than one bathroom. I like that the bigger areas in the house are the ones we will use and live in - like a spacious kitchen and one big front room (instead of a rarely touched living room and a separate family room). I like having laundry on the main floor. I personally like that our house is probably one of a kind... but that's probably hard to come by in a townhouse and isn't a must-have I don't suppose. I think a lot is personal preference. But that's what I like about ours.

Mimi Collett said...

I have no advice, but I am excited for you! :)

Jon and Diana said...

about homes, I don't know how old a home you are looking for, but I have only one, okay 2 suggestions. If there are wood floors, walk around a lot a see how loud the floors can be. Josh is a light sleeper and wakes up at every step we take. we thought it would be okay, but no, it drives us crazy!!! k, #2.. make sure there are enough outlets in each room. We are renting an old house and there is only 1 outlet in the kitchen. I know I don't use the mixer, toaster, rice cooker and dishwasher all at the same time, but still, 2 outlets would be nice ya know?