It seems that in these "difficult times" it is becoming the norm to complain about things. The weather, the economy, crime, taxes, the economy, rude people, the economy...you get the picture. Today being Thanksgiving, it is appropriate to think about what we are grateful for. But more than just the season, the "difficult times" have had an interesting affect on me. I won't pretend that I'm not a complainer. If you read this blog, you know that's not true. But over the past year or so, I have had an overwhelming feeling (regardless of weather or not I expressed it adequately) of gratitude. I have been so blessed in so many ways.
I am thankful for my beautiful daughter, and that she wakes up each morning alive and well. I am grateful for my loving and patient husband (though I won't elaborate, due to my recent post's high sap content). I am thankful, too, that we have a home (okay, so mostly, the bank has it, but they are gracious enough to let us live in it), that we live in a country with so many freedoms, even a promised land, that I have a loving family (and in-laws) who have set a righteous example for Jon and I, and who love Olivia.
Mostly, though, I am so grateful for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the opportunity to be a member of His church. I feel so thankful that as, in many ways, the world falls apart around us, we have the knowledge that allows us to "stand in holy places", and be protected. In these troubled times, the words of Christ resonate with me. He said "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you." (John 14:27) I do feel his peace in my life, and that is reason enough to be thankful.
This is my meager attempt to actually express the gratitude I feel. I will try to express it more consistently. I'd love to know what you are especially grateful for right now. If you are reading this (even if you don't normally comment) please take a moment to let me know one or two things you are thankful for! I would be so thankful to hear from you! ;)
2 comments:
I am grateful for many of the same things, my husband who tolerates me and loves me, our son, who was definitely worth the wait, the gospel and the joy it brings daily...and mostly I am thankful for the peace. That constant feeling that as long as we do what is right things will work out eventually.
Hope all is going well, we definitely need to meet up soon now that babies are a little bigger and before the weather turns me into a hermit.
This is Christy actually. I am grateful for the awesome scarf I got in a White Elephant gift exchange today. I'm also grateful that school is getting out and that I finally have an idea for ornaments (but I won't tell).
Post a Comment