Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mmmmm, food...

Help! I need some input from more experienced moms, aunts, grandmas, babysitters, etc.

My baby girl LOVES to eat. We recently moved her from the bebe pod to the highchair (which we are borrowing from our neighbors...even though I ordered a beautiful wood one weeks ago...don't ask!), and with a tray in front of her, she has a lot more options, and can feed herself.

Though she's 10 months old, she doesn't have any teeth, but she's pretty good at mashing with her gums. I have basically stopped buying baby food because 1. it's expensive and 2. she would rather eat others things. "Feed me!"

Here's where you come in. I am trying to be creative, and feed her healthy and balanced "meals". Things she can feed herself are great, but I'm still willing to spoon feed her some of the time. She is currently living on a diet of crackers, yogurt, mandarin oranges, cheese and bananas. I feed her bits of our meals when it is something she will not choke on. She also loves Gerber puffs and yogurt melts. (She's still nursing, too.) I need some more ideas!!

What do you feed your kids? What are some healthy, kid-friendly foods? Also, in the future, I'm hoping not to have to resort to chicken nuggets and mac n cheese every day, so foods she can eat now (toothless) as well as suggestions of foods for older kids would be great!

Gracias!

8 comments:

peterfam said...

With Caeli, we just feed her whatever we are eating, but we break it up into tiny pieces. If its meat, we cut it into basically rice size pieces and then put it in a pile on her tray and she eats it. Canned beans, corn, avocados, blueberries, anything that can be cut into little pieces works great. Its amazing how much stuff they can mash up with their gums. Have fun!

Em said...

Avocado and hard boiled eggs are popular at our house.

Maria said...

Brookie loves rice, especially sticky rice, so rice with anything is great for her. Also, have you tried spaghetti? Most kids LOVE it. Quesadillas, grilled cheese, tomato soup - she's probably ready for all of that. Also, as far as veggies, one of the ways I got Brookie to eat carrots was by steaming them in the microwave (put some carrots in a bowl, a little water in the bottom, and cover it with saran wrap. then cook for 1 1/2 to 3 minutes, depending on your microwave and how you want them done). If you need to, you can add a little butter and salt to make them more palatable. Also, Brookie loved the edamame beans - you can cut them smaller so they aren't choking size and she will probably still be able to pick them up and feed herself. Hope some of this works! You know that in the end we just have to feed Brookie what works- which isn't always the healthiest choice.

Amy North said...

I think I was going to suggest everything that's been said already. :) Avocado is a good one, and turkey lunch meat, anything canned (except corn, of course) is usually soft enough. Plain, cooked noodles are good, too, BOTH of my boys love pasta. With or without sauce. :) We really just feed them whatever we eat. Oatmeal is good, too, and bagels ripped into little pieces. Pancakes, waffles, anything that they can mush. And some things are super messy, but having them feed themselves is so worth it. Chili makes a HUGE mess, but Beckett has been eating it for a long time. Good luck!

Jefra said...

I am a friends with Merideth Bledsoe Caulderwood and I saw your blog on hers. I have an 11 month old boy, so your blog caught my eye. I have been using the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron and it has been so helpful. It is the most complete and informative book I have seen. The book also has good recipes for toddler foods too. I hope you don't mind me commenting. Feel free to check out my blog too, ryanandjefra.blogspot.com

the mapmaker's wife said...

I don't know much - but I know Caleb ate a lot of bananas. :)

ajensen said...

Any veggies steamed and softened. our kids love broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes (some you have to give them 10-15 times before liking it though--that is sometimes hard), soften cereal in yogurt, all berries cut up, PASTAS! with lots of different sauces, smoothies--loves these you can put all kinds of things in them and always spinach, cottage cheese, most beans.....

Good luck! Its fun!

Justin and Jamie said...

Jamie's sister has gotten a food masher to make baby food. Basically it mashes whatever you are eating so cute babies, such Olivia, want choke. I think you can find them at any baby store or even some grocery stores.