I made this fun autumn wreath after being inspired by a picture of a Christmas wreath in "Martha Stewart Living". This is a fall-friendly adaptation, and even though I looked up the tutorial for the magazine version on line, I used a completely different method. If you're interested, here's how I made it.
Materials:
One old book (I got an old paper back at Goodwill for 50 cents)
A straw wreath (I was looking for a foam wreath, but couldn't find one. Ended up liking the straw a lot because the color matches the paper, and it looks nice if any pieces show. I got mine at JoAnn's for $1.50 after using a 40% off coupon.)
Ribbon (I had the thick brown and paid 60 cents with a coupon for the two thinner spools.)
Colorful fall leaves (This is optional. I got a whole bag at JoAnn's on sale for 99 cents.)
Wire to make a hook to hang the wreath from. (Or you could hang it another way. I had some wire on hand)
Straight pins (I had these...just used some of the ones I use for sewing.)
Fall leaf templates (I printed four different leaves, similar sizes--on cardstock, because they'll be traced a lot. Just did a google image search on "fall leaf templates".)
(My total cost was $3.59...not too bad!)
Instructions:
Print your leaf templates and cut them out. Trace leaves onto the pages of an old book and cut them out. This will be easier if you cut pages out first with an exacto knife. Also, you will save yourself lots of time by stacking several sheets so you cut out more than one leaf at once (I discovered this at the very end...) I had four kinds of leaves and cut out 15 of each, for a 14 inch wreath, and had just a couple left over. Also, I gently folded the leaves down the center to give them some dimension.
Tie your ribbon to the bottom of the wreath and let it hang loose for now.
Begin to pin the paper leaves to the straw wreath base. I just sort of rotated which kind of leaf and stuck the straight pins through. You could also use hot glue...this doesn't work for me since the area between my front door and the glass storm door gets super hot, even in winter, it melts hot glue (I learned this the hard way.) If you don't want to pin, a stapler would probably work really well too, and might even be sturdier than the pins.
Keep pinning leaves until they cover the wreath, all the way down to the ribbon.
If desired, pin decorative colored leaves in place near ribbon, and tie a bow. Pin bow into place so it holds its shape.
Attach wire hook or loop to the back of the wreath.
Hang and admire. :)

2 comments:
Super cute! Way to craft! You inspire me dear cousin. =)
Cool!
Post a Comment