Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A bit crabby

So, today a picture popped up on my screensaver that brought back a memory from the summer. It was a memory of the beach...and considering the current temperature in Provo, I thought I would re-visit the memory, and enlighten you at the same time. ;)

Allie (summer roommate), Nikki & Laura (fellow interns), Diana (sister), and I were enjoying an evening meal at a little restaurant on the beach in Manual Antonio, Costa Rica (seriously one of the most gorgeous places ever- if you haven't been there, you should start planning a trip right away), and I saw this monsterous crab teetering around on the sand. A few weeks before I had developed the habit of snapping photos of crabs as often as possible (if you've ever tried to snap a photo of a crab, you'll know that they're quite elusive...and it became like a challenge), so, logically, I seized this optimal opportunity and followed the crab around for several minutes, taking as many pictures as possible. As it was evening, I found it necessary to use the flash to catch my not-so-little crab friend in action.
Apparently his bulgy little eyes didn't appreciate the constant flashing, because after I had finished his photo shoot and was calmly enjoying my batido de guanabana (another must-have experience), the mean thing scampered right over and pinched my toe! It didn't feel good, as you can imagine by looking at the size of his pincher, but what surprised me the most was his intelligence. There were ten feet- one hundred toes- under that table, and the crab had the brains to pick one of mine. I'm totally convinced he was seeking revenge- and he got it- but that' s the last time a crab's going to get the best of me! If I hadn't been so surprised, I would have caught him and had the restaurant cook him up for me, and you better believe that's what I'll do the next time a vengeful crab so much as pokes my toe!

No comments: