Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Inauguration Day

I did not vote for President Barack Obama, and I do not agree with all that he proposes to do, but I am hopeful for the future and was touched and impressed my his inaugural address today. I wanted to post a couple of highlights from his speech (followed by my own commentary).

"In reaffirming the greatness of our nation, we understand that greatness is never a given. It must be earned. Our journey has never been one of short-cuts or settling for less. It has not been the path for the faint-hearted - for those who prefer leisure over work, or seek only the pleasures of riches and fame. Rather, it has been the risk-takers, the doers, the makers of things - some celebrated but more often men and women obscure in their labor, who have carried us up the long, rugged path towards prosperity and freedom. "

I appreciated the emphasis on hard work. It seems that too often people in our nation want something for nothing, and expect to be rewarded without making the tough decisions that lead to success.

"Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age."

While I certainly didn't hear this from either side during the campaign, it was refreshing to hear the President acknowledge that the current economic crisis is at least in part the responsibility of our nation collectively. Sure, we can blame Wall Street, but haven't we as a nation been living outside of our means, and consuming far more than we are producing?

"To the people of poor nations, we pledge to work alongside you to make your farms flourish and let clean waters flow; to nourish starved bodies and feed hungry minds. And to those nations like ours that enjoy relative plenty, we say we can no longer afford indifference to suffering outside our borders; nor can we consume the world's resources without regard to effect. For the world has changed, and we must change with it."

To the humanitarian in me, this was good to hear. I believe that where much is given, much is required, and that as a blessed nation, we have the responsibility to bear the burdens of others who are not so fortunate. I hope that President Obama puts his money where his mouth is.

"For as much as government can do and must do, it is ultimately the faith and determination of the American people upon which this nation relies. It is the kindness to take in a stranger when the levees break, the selflessness of workers who would rather cut their hours than see a friend lose their job which sees us through our darkest hours. It is the firefighter's courage to storm a stairway filled with smoke, but also a parent's willingness to nurture a child, that finally decides our fate."

The final statement in this paragraph touched me. As the institution of the family breaks down around us, I really appreciated the recognition of necessity of nurture from parent to child in the success of our nation and our future. The role of parenthood is often diminished by the media and society, and as I prepare to be a mother, I know that it is one of my very most important roles, and that there I can do more to shape the future than in any career I might pursue.

If you missed the address, you can find the full text here.

Here's to The United States of America and the peaceful transfer of power. Happy Inauguration Day!

3 comments:

Diana said...

Thanks Sarah. I loved his speech and was very touched by many of the same things. Love you.

Jen Holtkamp said...

great insights sarah. it's nice to see someone who didn't vote for barack actually supporting him :)

Brintons said...

Once I got on my soapbox I just kept venting…sorry…At the risk of being Debbie Downer I will say that I thought Obama’s speech was uplifting, but his actions don’t support his words. I appreciated him talking about the importance of hard work, but then he openly professes that America needs a redistribution of wealth, i.e. those who have worked hard and earned money must now be required to hand it off to those that depended on the government to subsidize their HD TV transition. Being one who is interested in economics and has traded on the open market I agree that greed and irresponsibility has brought upon us difficult times, but taking it into his own hands to decide who should pay and who should gain in this situation is completely wrong. If the government had refrained from such scrupulous regulations in the first place we wouldn’t be turning to big government to bail us out now. Along with what you posted, Obama also stated “The question we ask today is not whether our government is too big or too small, but whether it works.” On the contrary, if the government seizing too much power now isn’t working then how in the world can he assume that making it bigger will solve the problem? There is something seriously wrong when I would choose Bill Clinton over our current president.