Tuesday, January 27, 2009

SNOW DAY! (and a sonogram)

I woke up several times on and off this morning as usual. Jon was getting ready for work, but kept lovingly telling me to go back to sleep. (I was SUPER tired last night and started falling asleep at 8:30- luckily I made it until around 10, which allowed me not to pop awake at 2 am). Finally at 7:20 I woke up for real and was talking to Jon. He happened to peer through the blinds, and said "Hey, it snowed!" I sat straight up in bed and said, "It SNOWED!? How much??" "Do you want to see?" He replied, and opened the blinds. What I saw was encouraging enough that I started clapping my hands, jumped out of bed, and ran to the computer. When I got to the school district's site I shouted with joy at what I saw. "All schools closed due to inclement weather." That's exactly what it said. And I bounced around the house saying "Snow day! Snow day!" until Jon had to leave for work. (Unfortunately, Lockheed Martin doesn't give snow days, and Jon has a big presentation today. He thought about canceling "due to inclement weather", but the thought was short lived.)

We have had snow a couple times before, but apparently it wasn't enough to cancel school. Just enough to delay school for two hours (which, since I am part time and work in the afternoons, does absolutely NOTHING for me but cause the kids to be antsy). This is how much snow it takes in Maryland to close all schools in the county (Baltimore County is one of the largest school districts in the U.S.)
Somewhat laughable to me, considering that I grew up in Michigan and lived in Utah (where it takes at least a good two feet of snow and lots of ice to cancel school). However, having seen how people drive around here in even the teeniest bit of snow, I'm not really that surprised. And not at ALL disappointed! I have been waiting for a snow day all year. If we have so many that they have to extend school further into June, what does it matter to me? I'll be on maternity leave! So today is a great day. I plan on doing yoga, drinking cocoa, curling up with a book, and doing many other, very appropriate things for a snow day. Maybe I'll try my hand at another soup.


In OTHER news, there was no hint of snow yesterday and I took advantage of the clear roads to drive myself to the hospital (no worries- it was a planned visit) for another sonogram. The baby was doing all sorts of gymnastics the last time, which made it difficult to get all the necessary pictures (ie of her kidneys, all four chambers of the heart, etc.) So my doctor had me go to the hospital for another one, where apparently they have better equipment and can get all the pictures they need. I'm sure it's also more expensive. Not that we won't be meeting our deductible this year anyway. Today the baby was a little calmer, but unfortunately in the wrong position to get the right pictures. She moved her arms and legs around, but refused to flip over. After about half an hour of sonograming, they had me go out in the hall to walk and jump and skip for about 5 minutes in an attempt to get the baby to move. She didn't. But when the technician went to get the doctor so she could try her hand at it, I lovingly patted my stomach, and asked the baby to please move so that we could see her heart properly. She obliged, and when the technician an the doctor returned, they were able to get all the pictures they wanted. Apparently all she needed was a little mother's TLC. It was so fun to see her again, even though Jon couldn't make it to this appointment. She is getting bigger, and they even got a picture of her smiling! Here it is for all to enjoy.

9 comments:

Jen Holtkamp said...

that's so funny! i may have a job interview canceled today because of inclement weather and we have just about as much snow as you, probably a couple inches at the most. yea for snow days!

peterfam said...

Yay for snow days! You are going to have an energetic child. (Autumn was that way, she was a handfull for several years, but now shes a great help)

the mapmaker's wife said...

I wish we could have snow days - and good ones too... but I sorta dread the idea of having one because if we do, they take away the Monday of Spring Break!!! What a rip off!

Joe Haynie said...

She has a beautiful smile. She is beautiful before she even sees the light of day but given that she´s your and Jon´s progeny that´s no surprise.

We are doing well on our trip. Unfortunately the wireless internet at this hotel isn´t working so I can´t call you at this point.

Mimi Collett said...

Awww! That's so cool that she moved for you! :) Jeff always tells me to tell Jill to do things, and I laugh at him saying that Jill won't listen to me, but maybe I should give it a try . . . Haha, yeah that much snow wouldn't do much out here or where my parents live (Waterford, MI)!

rantipoler said...

Yeah, if it snows AT ALL here school is canceled like crazy. The other day it was canceled because of the cold. Pretty laughable.

Love the sonogram - how exciting!

Ashley Harris said...

That is such a precious sonogram! She totally looks like she is smiling! And how fun that you're having a girl! You look so great for being 22 weeks along. The weight gain is tough, but oh boy it's worth it. And you look awesome, I don't know what you're talking about!!!

Maria said...

SHE IS SO CUTE!!! I love my niece already! She is adorable!!

chadnsyd said...

Congrats! Lookin' good so far, don't you just love the whole experience? Hey, when did you and Jon move to Baltimore? That was news to us...how exciting! We're planning a family trip to D.C. this June...will you and Jon still be there?