Saturday, January 10, 2009

Speaking of Spice

When I was little I remember "writing" a cookbook. I don't think I even tried out the recipes first. I just thought things up, and wrote them down. I distinctly recall reinventing the hamburger without realizing it (of course my recipe called for sliced bread instead of hamburger buns, so it was pretty different). I recently re-discovered what has since then been a hidden talent. I am really good at making soup, from scratch, without a recipe. I just see the soup in my head, and go to work. I haven't made a bad one yet. This week I made one that was particularly good, and I thought I would try to write down the recipe in an effort to share. (Keep in mind that I wasn't making specific measurements at the time...it was more like, toss in a little of this, some of that...but I'll try to be as accurate as possible).

Creamy Potato Zucchini Soup

3 medium potatoes (cubed)
1 medium zucchini (diced)
1 small onion (chopped)

2 Tb butter/margarine
2Tb flour
2 C milk
1 C grated cheese (I used cheddar...you could use whatever you have)
1 Tb corn starch
1Tb cold water

Salt
Pepper
Thyme

Boil diced potatoes (I left skins on, but you could peel them if you want) in enough water to cover them, with a few dashes of salt. After a few minutes, add the chopped onion. When potatoes are nearly soft, add the zucchini. Discard any water that is above the line of the vegetables, add pepper and a few dashes of thyme, and let simmer.

In another saucepan, melt butter and mix in flour until smooth. Then add milk, and stir until flour/butter mixture is mostly dissolved. Add cheese and stir until melted. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth, and then add to creamy mixture. Stir. When mixture begins to thicken, add to the vegetables and water. Stir well, and continue to let simmer. Add more salt, pepper, and thyme to taste. Serve hot.

Serves about 6, also reheats well (though it continues to thicken in the fridge).

I served the soup with fresh bread and a salad. For the more carniverously inclined, it could be served as a side with some type of meat dish. Try it out and let me know if it was really awful, in which case I probably made a dreadful mistake in writing it down, because it was really good when I made it. :)

5 comments:

the mapmaker's wife said...

That sounds pretty good. I've gotten okay at doing that butter-flour-milk-cheese thing for mac & cheese and such.... never thought about using it in a soup! And potato and zucchini sounds like a good combination!

Ashley and Ben said...

Umm, that actually reminds me of some of the puree soups in spain. I am going to have to try this one :) Thanks!

Jon and Diana said...

And whose idea was the creamy cauliflower soup with laughing cow cheese that we ate in Mexico? Was that you or Kizzy? Either way, it was yummy! You are creative!

Sarah said...

mmmm...I don´t remember but I think it may have been a joint effort. I had forgotten about that soup. Yum!

the mapmaker's wife said...

So I tried it, and it turned out quite well! I took out the onion and put garlic salt and 21 seasoning salute from trader joe's in addition to the thyme. I'm looking forward to reheating it too... seems like things get even better the second time!