Watching General Conference as a little girl, I would listen to the Tabernacle Choir, and think how amazing they were. But I knew the my daddy was just as good, and that if we didn't live so far away, surely he would be one of their number.
Four years ago, after my family moved from Michigan to Utah, my childhood aspirations for my father were realized. Dear old dad (or Papa Joe, as he has been affectionately dubbed) joined the choir (though "joined" seems too light a word to describe the rigorous audition process choir members go through). I have loved looking for him in Conference, attending concerts, and listening to the various albums he has recorded with the choir. I know it has been a marvelous experience for him.
Now, because of new assignments at work that involve frequent travel, he is resigning from the choir. This Sunday will be his last time singing with the choir, during Music and the Spoken Word. If you can, tune in, and listen with me, as Papa Joe and the Tabernacle Choir sing their final duet. Find broadcast times and links to watch online here.
Although this signifies the end of a good thing, we can all be assured that it is not the end of the song. Music will continue to abound in the Haynie home, and if you stop by, I'm sure Papa Joe will gladly grace you with a melody.

the family on temple square after a concert, December 2006
2 comments:
AHH no way! I didn't know he was resigning :( I will definitely try and listen on Sunday! He makes listening to them that much more exciting! Hooray for having music be such a huge part of all of our lives, seriously I don't think I have one memory from a Haynie gathering that doesn't involve all of us sitting around and singing! :)
So sad...we'll definitely be listening.
Post a Comment