Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Pilgrimage of Sorts


Tomorrow, my mom, dad, grandpa, aunts and uncles will all embark on a journey. A group of 14 (my dad, his dad, all his siblings and their spouses) are flying south to Peru. As some may know, my dad was born in that country 50 years ago, in tiny mining village while my grandpa was setting up and managing a copper mine. My aunt Lucy was born there a year and a half later, and several months after that, the family moved away. None of them have ever returned, but for those old enough to remember, it is a cherished place. Those memories and stories have become sacred to those who were too young to remember, or who were not yet born, as it is part of our family heritage. So this is a pilgrimage of sorts, a return home. I am so excited for the experiences they will have. Most of those going speak Spanish, and those who don't will have plenty of translators around. They have planned to take clothing and supplies down to donate to local people in need. I wish I were going with them!! What an amazing opportunity to be together as a family in such an amazing place with Grandpa Haynie and his incredible memory as their guide. If you want to follow their journey and adventures, check out the blog they have created for the occasion here. (There is also a link on my sidebar). My thoughts and prayers will be with all who are going during their ten day journey.


My dad as a baby in Peru.



The amazing Haynie clan going on the trip. (L-R) Eva & Wade Riser, Lucy & Hugh Bangerter, Peggy & Carl Haynie II, Carl Haynie I (Grandpa), Becky Haynie, Linda & Joe Haynie (mom & dad), Glen & Connie Haynie, Harold & Sheri Haynie.

5 comments:

Maria said...

Yea Haynie Family! We will all be praying for your safety and enjoyment. And regretting not being there ourselves...

Mimi Collett said...

Wow that's so wonderful that so many of them can go! What a treat. :)

Cali Haynie Rutter said...

thanks for posting the link to the blog. I never got the email about it but I came on your blog figuring you would have it! Thanks! I'm so jealous of them as well. I wish I was going!

Jen Holtkamp said...

oh i am so jealous! i almost forgot that your uncle was my bishop for the couple months we lived in pleasant grove...

Rogers Roundup said...

That is so awesome that so much of your family is going! Maybe my husband and I will go to Peru someday...he has talked about going back (served his mission there). You are looking so cute by the way!