Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fools!

April Fools day has always been a much celebrated holiday in my family. Usually the pranks ranged from putting corn flakes in each others pillows and salt in the sugar bowl to saran-wrapping the toilet (I do NOT recommend this). One time we even convinced my mom to call my dad at work and tell him I had accidentally cut my arm really badly and that we were in the emergency room. He totally fell for it, and I'm pretty sure that was the only time in my life I have ever heard my mom say anything that wasn't the truth.

That said, I was trying to think of a good April Fools joke this year, but with so many other things going on, nothing came to me. Until I woke up at three yesterday morning. I looked at the clock and thought, "Oh! It's April Fool's Day!", and suddenly, I had the best idea ever.

I rolled over and shook Jon awake and said (as frantically as I could manage having been awake myself for about 1 minute) "Honey! I think I'm in labor!"

Unfortunately I didn't have the heart to draw the prank out, though it definitely would have made for a better story...I already felt bad for waking him up at all. My little ploy did seem to work though, because he immediately sat up and said "Really!!??"

To which I said (in a very small voice) "no...april fools!"

Oh well.

What are your favorite April Fools stories?

3 comments:

the mapmaker's wife said...

that's gutsy! :) i don't know if i've ever done an april fool's joke.

Maria said...

Haha. I forgot it was it was even April fool's until about 8:00 at night, at which point we were at a basketball game and I didn't really have the energy to think of a prank. Actually I'm not sure if Shane and I are really the April fool's type...shame. Maybe we'll have to start pulling pranks when we have older kids. Remember the whole unscrew the top of the salt shaker so whoever uses it gets a whole shaker full of salt on their dinner? Good times.

Mimi Collett said...

On the radio, they were sharing some good ones. :) I liked one back in the '90s where Taco Bell advertised in major newspapers that to help the country get out of its national debt, they were going to buy the Liberty Bell and renamed it the Taco Liberty Bell. Haha. A lot of people believed it and got really upset. I also really like google's April Fool's Jokes. This year, gmail said that it had a new program that could answer your e-mails for you. It was really funny (the examples they gave and everything). :)