The cooking, crafting and mothering adventures of a former world traveler.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Kindness
I'm 8 months pregnant, so I think it should go without saying that I have been a little absentminded lately. Yesterday I got to the grocery store and was impressed with myself that I actually remembered my list. I finished my shopping, got in line, placed all my groceries on the conveyor belt, and then, as it was almost my turn, realized that I had completely forgotten my wallet at home. The lady in front of me was still paying, but the cashier started to pick up my groceries to ring them up, so I quickly asked her to wait, and explained that I had just realized that I didn't have my wallet with me and asked what I should do. I told her that I didn't live too far away, and that I could go get it and come back (though I was worried about leaving my groceries sitting out since I had milk and meat). Upon hearing me, the lady in front of me turned around and said "I'll pay for your groceries, and you can just send me a check. It's absolutely ridiculous for you to go all the way home." I was floored. I almost didn't want to take her up on the offer, but I asked if she was sure. She told me "Absolutely positive", so I said "okay" and thanked her for her kindness. I don't know if a total stranger has ever shown that much kindness and trust. I've already mailed the check and a thank you note. It really made my day. What if more of us were so kind and trusting?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That's an amazing story. Thanks for sharing.
Wow amazing that it happened outside of Utah!! You look like a trust worth person too!! I would pay for your groceries anytime!! :)
That is so sweet!
Wow! I am glad you shared that.
Wow, that's awesome! I was at the grocery store the other day and the lady behind me gave me a coupon to that store for $10. I was pretty pumped, but paying for all your groceries? Wow!
I'm glad it worked out for you, sounds stressful.
I think the best thing about moments like that is that it inspires you to do the same for others. It is so contagious, so wonderful.
i love this story! what an inspiration to be better, give more, and risk a little! love it. love it.
Post a Comment