Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spring Break!

Since I went to BYU, I haven't had an official spring break since high school! And now that I go to high school again (with a slightly different role...this time I get paid for it), I couldn't be happier that after 9 years, spring break is finally here again. :) I honestly think that I am happier about spring break now, as a teacher, than I ever was as a student. The only damper is that Jon can't take vacation time because:
a. we recently found out that the week of paid paternity leave that he was supposed to get when the baby is born doesn't kick in until he's been with the company for a year, and I'm due three weeks before that will be the case (so he needs to save vacation time for when the baby is born) and
b. he has a mandatory conference in New Jersey Monday through Wednesday.

However, we have tried to make things fun anyway. I'm going to accompany Jon to his conference, and although he will be working long hours, at least I will be able to see him at night. And hang out at the hotel pool. And have a bit of a change of scenery. But seriously, New Jersey? (It's been called the arm pit of America...oh well.) So we're leaving tomorrow evening after General Conference, since his conference for work starts early Monday morning. Then I will hang out there on Monday, and come home Tuesday morning (Jon's catching a ride back to Baltimore with a coworker).

Tuesday evening I am hosting a Young Women's sleepover at my apartment. And I'm praying that I'll have enough floor space for everyone. I'm really excited about it though...I think it will be tons of fun, and I hope all the girls show up (sleepover on a Tuesday night works because they all have spring break too).

Wednesday night, Jon gets home late, and Thursday I am planning on hitting up Jo Anne's for some great fabric deals.

Then Friday, Jon will work a half day, and then we will hop in our car and drive to NYC. We're staying with our friends Lindsay and Nate, and we're super excited, because on Saturday, we're seeing "Wicked". Jon has actually seen it before, but it will be my first time, and I can't wait. Aside from that, we'll probably hang out in Central Park, and partake of the culinary goodness that NYC has to offer. We'll stay for Easter dinner with Lindsay and Nate, and then come back to Baltimore Sunday night.

Monday is my last day of freedom, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do. Hopefully not be incredibly bored and spend the whole day checking facebook and reading other people's blogs (I love reading your blogs, but really, no one should ever spend an entire day doing such a thing).

Tuedsay is back to school...spring break over. BUT, that is also the day that my family (Mom, Dad, Joy, Christy, Rachel) arrive! I can't wait to see them!

If you don't have spring break, I'm very sorry. I know what it feels like. But right now, even though I'm not going on a cruise, or to Hawaii, like some of my coworkers, I am basking in the glory of the grass turning green, the trees full of blossoms, and not having to think about work for an entire week!

3 comments:

Jen Holtkamp said...

i guess i've had perpetual spring break since we got out here ha, ha! we're going to NY in 2 weeks for a quick trip as well, let us know if you have suggestions of things to do up there! (i've also re-read your philly post since we're going there too!

Mandy said...

I'm jealous, sounds so fun! I hope you enjoy your spring break and that you can come back to "school" ready to finish out your year.

Hopefully our kiddos can be friends even if you are having a girl and I am having a boy :)

We should meet up at the temple before babies come. That would be so fun.

The Pollock Family said...

I never have a "break" because my job as Mom is a 24/7 job. :) But I love it!! Sometimes I wish I had a spring break from my job but I would miss the kids too much!! I hope everything is going good!! You are cuter than ever!!